Tow Truck Auto Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Auto accidents can be devastating, leaving some victims with serious injuries, growing medical bills, and an inability to return to work.
Car accidents with tow trucks can be particularly devastating due to the size and weight of the truck. When an accident happens due to a tow truck driver's negligence, it's important that victims seek compensation for their injuries.
Accident attorney Sean M. Burke helps hold negligent parties liable in tow truck auto accidents in Orange County, CA.
Causes of Tow Truck Accidents
Tow truck accidents can happen for similar reasons as other traffic accidents, like driver error, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or driver distraction.
Some other reasons for tow truck accidents include:
- Tow trucks can create obstructions: Tow trucks can create full or partial obstructions for other drivers on the road, increasing the risk of car accidents. It can be particularly dangerous when a tow truck is parked or maneuvering near a blind corner. Drivers making a turn around a blind corner may not need to stop suddenly, potentially causing an accident.
- Unusual and difficult maneuvering: Tow trucks are frequently in awkward positions in order to move a damaged vehicle. This often leads to unusual maneuvers that can be unexpected to other drivers on the road, causing an accident. Also, tow trucks are large, especially when towing a vehicle, making it difficult to maneuver through tight streets, turning, and driving on the freeway, all of which can contribute to a car accident.
- Tow truck hooks pose a risk: Tow trucks with rear hooks can be dangerous in a rear-end collision if the hook, depending on the position of the hook. In some cases, a tow truck's hook may hit and shatter the windshield of the car behind it, causing injuries to the driver and any front seat passengers.
- Improperly secured vehicle: If a vehicle is not properly secured on a tow truck, it can come loose, hitting another vehicle and causing an accident. Even when properly secured, pieces of a damaged vehicle being towed may fall off and hit another driver.
Common Injuries in Tow Truck Accidents
Tow truck accidents can be minor or serious, resulting in a wide range of possible injuries. Some may be lucky enough to walk away from an accident without a scratch while others may face life-altering injuries. Some common injuries in tow truck accidents include:
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Broken bones, including ribs, legs, and arms
- Internal bleeding
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Seeking Compensation for Tow Truck Accident Injuries
When an accident and subsequent injuries are caused by the negligence of a tow truck driver, injured parties may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
When seeking compensation, it may be possible to hold both the tow truck driver and his or her employer liable for the accident and resulting injuries. Speaking with an attorney experienced with tow truck accidents can help injured parties get the compensation they deserve.
Contact Burke Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by another person's negligence, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and other damages. To discuss the details of your case and learn more about your legal options, please call (949) 644-3434 to schedule a case review.