Sean M. Burke
Sean M. Burke grew up in West Los Angeles and graduated from Loyola High School in 1971. Mr. Burke earned his Bachelor of Arts degree magna cum laude from the University of Southern California in 1976. He graduated from USC Law School and USC Business School in 1981, with a combined JD/MBA degree. He was awarded highest honors for receiving the top grade in his second-year Torts class.
EXPERIENCED AND HIGHLY RATED
Mr. Burke has been an attorney for over 35 years, having passed the bar exam on his first attempt in 1981. He became a trial lawyer in 1985, specializing in the representation of plaintiffs. He holds an AV rating - Very High to Preeminent - from Martindale-Hubbell, a nationally recognized rating firm. He has also been named Orange County Trial Lawyer Association's (OCTLA) Medical Malpractice Trial Lawyer of the Year three times, in 2005, 2009, and 2014.
Meet Attorney Sean Burke
Mr. Burke is a long-standing member of the following organizations:
- Board Certified in Professional Liability - Medical by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- American Association of Justice (formerly American Trial Lawyers Association)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles County
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Long Beach Bar Association
He has also served in the following positions:
- ABOTA - The American Board of Trial Advocates – Sean was admitted to ABOTA in 2009. ABOTA is a national group of trial lawyers, representing plaintiffs and defendants. One has to be nominated and accepted into the organization and has to be an experienced trial lawyer.
- OC ABOTA Chapter National Board Representative, 2014-2017
- Board of Directors of OCTLA, 1997 to 2001
- Chairman of the Courts Committee for the Long Beach Bar Association, 1995 to 2001
- Member of the Scholarship Committee of the Long Beach Bar Association, 1989 to1995
- Board of Governors of the Long Beach Bar Association, 1986 to 1987
- President of the Long Beach Barristers, 1987
- Three-time winner of the OCTLA Trial Lawyer of the Year for Medical Malpractice in 2005, 2009 and 2014.
- Best Lawyers in America since 2009.
- Superlawyer again for the 12 straight years 2005 – 2017.
- Named in the Top 50 Lawyers in Orange County by Superlawyers, 2007 to 2017.
- Top 5 Personal Injury Lawyers in Orange County by AVVO and OC Metro Magazine.
- I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Mr. Burke's work has been published in the Litigation Section Bulletin of the California Bar Association. Additionally, he has lectured at attorneys' continuing-education seminars on medical malpractice and other litigation issues for over 20 years.
From 1981 to 1985, Mr. Burke practiced in the area of business law and venture capital. In 1985, he joined a firm in Long Beach, California that eventually became Thielen and Burke. The firm specialized in catastrophic personal injury cases, including medical malpractice, product liability, and personal injury cases. Mr. Burke obtained one of the highest jury verdicts in California in the area of negligent security when he won $1 million for a Marine Corps soldier who was shot in a fast food restaurant.
Mr. Burke has obtained more than $120 million for his clients since 1990.
In 1998, Sean Burke's partner, Joseph Thielen, retired from the practice of law, and Mr. Burke formed his own firm, the Law Offices of Sean M. Burke. In 2007, Mr. Burke moved the office to its current location in Irvine, California.
The location of the office allows our firm to serve clients from Orange County, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and elsewhere in Southern California. From our Newport Beach location, personal injury lawyer Sean M. Burke represents people seriously injured in automobile or other accidents, those who suffer injuries as a result of negligent medical or hospital care, elderly people who are neglected or abused, children or infants who suffer birth injuries from medical errors, and people or companies treated unfairly by insurance companies.
Mr. Burke has been named a Southern California Superlawyer by Los Angeles Magazine every year since they started in 2005
The Law Offices of Sean M. Burke serve all Southern California, including the Inland Empire, Orange County, and Los Angeles. If you need a personal injury or medical malpractice lawyer, contact Sean M. Burke today.